Wednesday 15 July 2009

How tall can you go with Spiraclimb?

This is a common question we receive by email and telephone. The canes pictured in my garden are just under 1m. Scientific experiments in controlled conditions (my colleague Dave, me, a Spiraclimb and a tape measure to be precise) have shown the Spiraclimb will go to just under 1.5m tall provided you have a fairly stout cane to mount it on.

Its worth remembering, though, that Spiraclimb is made from galvanised steel, as opposed to elastic, and so the height of the cane doesn't really change much beyond the visual style. A tall cane will draw the spirals in closer to the cane for a taller, narrower spiral whilst a shorter cane, as I opted for, produces wider more shallow spirals.

A consideration for me in selecting the height of the cane was the effect that the hoped-for crop of beans would have and I was seeking to avoid creating more weight then my cane could comfortably support.

With any cane height you can still support much the same length of lateral plant growth and, of course, when the plant reaches the top it can be trained back down again!

Click on the link for additional Spiraclimb growing tips.

No comments: