Monday 15 June 2009

Birds come to the Rescue!

As I await the opportunity to add my beans to their Spiraclimb supports, it turns out that the various birds nesting in the trees around the Spiraclimb garden have been busy on my behalf!

I've had plenty of cause to cuss them of late since they have developed a fondness for rummaging through the bark chippings under the chairs and table, turfing the bark onto the path in the process. However, this weekend, prompted no doubt by the rain, they have been eagerly demolishing a selection of slugs and snails that were emerging to feast on my bedding plants. I found quite a few shattered shells scattered about.

In this instance, therefore, I am prepared to overlook the continued mess they make with the bark chippings and welcome them instead to wreak revenge on my behalf for the sad demise of several marigold plants!

I did find one slug, however, so huge that any bird who ate it would probably be weighed down and rendered as flightless as the dodo! This "porker" was firmly turfed over the wall into the adjoining field to enjoy whatever wild flowers there might take his fancy.

No comments: